What do I need to use the Cave Quest app?
All you need is a newer generation Apple or Android smartphone or tablet that is equipped with a camera. You’ll also need to have the app downloaded and installed on your device (available from the Apple App store or Google Play store). Finally, you’ll need the Bible Memory Buddy tags to trigger the app.
Is there a cost for the app?
The app is a free download. The Bible Memory Buddy Tags are available for sale through Group and also at many Christian retail stores and online Christian suppliers.
How do I know if the app is compatible with my device?
The app works on most newer generation Apple and Android smart phones and tablets that are equipped with a camera. You can download the app and try it free of charge. There is also a list of devices at the bottom of this document that are known not to be compatible with the app.
Does the app work without the Bible Memory Buddy tags?
No. The tags are required to trigger the app. Tags are available during the VBS season from your favorite Christian retailer, or online at group.com/vbsbuddies.
Why isn't the sound playing?
Make sure you don't have your device in silent mode. Check the silent mode switch on the side of your phone or tablet.
I’m using the app, but the animated Buddy is disappearing or flashing off and on.
There are different factors that can cause this condition:
- Lighting: Try to make sure the Buddy tag is in a place with soft, even lighting. Glare from harsh lights will affect the app. Also, for best results, place the tag on a dark, non-reflective surface.
- Motion: Try to keep both the device and the Buddy tag as steady as possible.
- Focus: The focusing ability of your device’s camera can affect performance. Many devices cannot focus well in low light or at close range. Experiment with the distance of the device to the tag to determine the optimal performance for your device. If your device is having difficulty focusing on the tag, place the tag on a large surface like a table or floor then restart the app and try again. This will reduce the chance that your device is focusing on background objects.
I can’t get the app to work on my device. What should I do?
If you’ve read through the suggestions above and the app still won’t work properly, chances are it’s not compatible with your particular device or your device may be malfunctioning. If you think this is the case, you should remove the app from your device and try again if you upgrade to a new device or try a different device. You can also contact our product support team if you have questions. The product support contact information is at the bottom of this document.
What versions of the Android and Apple Operating System are not supported?
Versions of the Android operating system below 3.0 and Apple operating system below 4.3 are not recommended for use with the Cave Quest Bible Memory Buddies app.
Which Android devices are not recommended for use with the app?
- Asus Transformer TF101 Android 4.0.3
- Motorola Droid A855 Android 2.2
- Sony Ericsson XPERIA Mini Android 2.2
- Ematic MID Tablet 4GB 7' Android 2.1
- HTC Tattoo Android 1.6
- Huawei 8230 Android 1.6
- HTC A6262 Hero Android 2.1
- Highscreem Zeus Android 1.5
- HTC Dream G1 Android 1.6
- Dell Mini 5 Android OS v1.6
- Samsung i9000 Galaxy S Android 2.1
- LG Optimus Android 1.6 (Donut)
- HTC Desire A8181 Android 2.1 (Eclair)
- HTC G1 Dream Android 1.6
- HTC Magic Androis 1.5
- Samsung Galaxy Spica Android 1.5
- HTC Wildfire A333 Android 2.1
- Nexus One Android 2.3.6
- Samsung GT-S5830 Android 2.3